About the Job
25madison is seeking a Head of Engineering - Startup Full Stack Developer to join the venture studio team and serve as a strategic pillar across all incubation and investing efforts. The Head of Engineering will be responsible for helping us identify new incubation opportunities, building out 25madison’s technical strategy & shared service capabilities, driving development of products for new incubations, and recruiting and mentoring technical talent for our “graduated” incubations. This is a unique, dynamic, and broadly scoped role that is perfect for a talented full-stack engineer who is eager to play a strategic role in launching new companies in the Venture ecosystem at fast-growing and high paced firm.
What you’ll do
Build the engineering capability
- Develop the strategic direction for technology as part of the 25madison incubation process
- Set plan, manage budget and drive technology & engineering investment to outcomes.
- Develop and champion quality coding practices, tools, platforms, and reusable components across the studio and its portfolio companies – create the “template” that we use to build companies.
- Recruit, develop, and retain top engineering talent at both the studio and portfolio company level
- Retain and manage external 3rd
party development teams when necessary and appropriate
- Play a critical role in brainstorming and vetting new areas to build and how technology can accelerate outcomes.
- Get your hands dirty coding and building MVPs for new incubations, validate their success, and serve as engineering lead as operating teams get hired and ramped up
- Lead architecture, design, and development of Studio incubations
- Be hands-on with the building of V1 prototypes of incubation products
- Manage the 25madison operational tech infrastructure
Be a Thought Leader
- Help chart a strategic direction for the company regarding how early-stage engineering increases startup success and valuation.
- Explore and develop new incubation concepts related to software
- Evaluate new minority investment opportunities in FinTech, HealthTech, and B2B SaaS
What you’ve done
- 7+ years of full-stack engineering experience
- Built and led development teams
- Start-up experience and/or agency experience
- Early-stage product experience building from zero to one
- Fluent in API development and integrations
- A portfolio of projects where you led the engineering efforts
- Hands on. Enjoys building things, with no job is too small or large.
- Self motivated. Can work with ambiguity, with little or no direction - inherent to early stage business creation
- Exceptional verbal and visual communication abilities
- Collaborative, transparent, and intellectually curious plus a healthy balance of confidence and humility
- Scrappy. Comfort with occasionally being the sole Engineer on a given project as it launches and ramps up.
- Broad industry credibility and a wide relevant network